All financial ANMF (Vic Branch) members receive professional indemnity insurance (PII), including $10 million protection for a negligent act and coverage for legal expenses.
PII is important for all health professionals as any practising nurse, midwife or carer could:
- be wrongfully accused of unprofessional conduct in administration and clinical roles
- mistakenly give the wrong drug to a patient
- fail to accurately carry out all instructions for care in a busy ward
- be involved in a court case, even if only indirectly, or witness an incident
- make a mistake due to workload stress, insufficient information or for any other reason.
PII is a requirement of registration. The Health Practitioner Regulation National Law places the specific obligation on registered nurses and midwives not to practise unless they know appropriate professional indemnity insurance is in place in relation to their practice.
Certificates are uploaded to the Member Portal on 1 June each year to assist full financial ANMF (Vic Branch) members demonstrate that they meet national registration requirements. ANMF recommend you are prepared in the event of an audit by printing and keeping these certificates in the Professional Portfolio sent to all members when they join.
Nurses and midwives who do not have appropriate PII may be exposed, in the event of negligence, to both the potential for uninsured civil liability and the costs of defending a charge of unprofessional conduct through the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency.
ANMF PII means if you are sued for negligence, malpractice or for damages arising from a public liability claim you are protected.*
ANMF PII also covers you for separate legal representation before the Coroner's Court if required.
Only financial members of the ANMF (Victorian Branch) are covered by ANMF PII.* Your fees must be up to date at the time of an incident of concern. To make sure you are a financial member switch to a direct debit payment plan in the members portal.
* Cover does not extend to privately practising midwives in independent practice, associate members or student members who are not working or clinical work performed by higher education sector members. Further, exclusions apply with respect to botox and cosmetic injectables; ear syringing; laser therapy; osteopathy, chiropractic and manipulative therapy; services rendered under the influence of intoxicants or drugs; and dishonest, fraudulent, criminal and/ or malicious conduct.
Download our Professional indemnity insurance brochure (PDF, updated June 2022)