School nursing is a specialised practice of professional nursing that advances the well being, and primary healthcare of students and staff within a school community.
School nurses facilitate positive student responses to normal development, promote health and safety, intervene with actual or potential health problems and provide case management services.
We are a group of nurses who work within the school environment encompassing, government, Catholic and independent schools.
Aims and objectives
- To encourage communication and active participation within all areas of the school nursing community
- To recognise and encourage on-going education and professional development by our members
- To promote proactive primary healthcare and education within our given settings
- To support other professionals in our specific field
Victorian school nurses conference
Saturday 7 September, 8am to 5pm at ANMF (Vic Branch). Register online.
Meetings are held on the third Tuesday of the school term starting at 18:30hrs and include an educational presentation by guest speakers, followed by a light supper, networking and a business meeting. We also often organise professional development days relevant to school nursing including annual CPR and first aid updates, sports medicine workshops, mental health seminars and bi-annual conferences.
RSVP is important for catering and CPD purposes, please click on the link corresponding to the date.
Search for VSN SIG meetings and conferences
National School Nursing Professional Practice Standards
In 2010 the Victorian School Nurses' SIG released a set of professional standards as a result of several forums and feedback sessions with the members. The VSN saw the development of these standards as a critical step in increasing awareness of the special knowledge and skills required by nurses working in school settings. Many people - including nurses, other health professionals, teachers and parents - are unaware of the diverse and complex roles performed by school nurses. At this launch we were approached by the ANMF to determine if they could be used as a basis to formulate a national set of professional standards. A great amount of work was done by Elizabeth Foley from the ANMF and Maureen Ward VSN member, to produce these standards.
- Full membership is open to all nurses who are financial members of the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation
- Associate membership is open to all nurses and first aiders who work within the school environment.